one rubber mute

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:16:54 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>WHen I'm in the temperament section, I'm constantly using reference
>strings for checks -- testing fifths with the major sixth below the lower
>note of the fifth, for example. How do you do this efficiently using a
>single rubber mute?
>

>Do you mean you use strings you havent tuned yet as references? I dont do
>that; I just tune as I go, using the tests Ive learned within the notes
>Ive tuned. Email me privately, Jason, and well talk about this so you can
>get an idea of what Im doing....
>
>David Andersen

Let's see.  We'll talk about Bush and Kerry on the list, but when you're
going to have a discussion of tuning you're going to take it off list?  I
think you ought to carry on this discussion here.  When I read Jason's post
I thought the question above echoed my own questions (or skepticism, if you
will) about this single mute method.  I don't have a lot of trouble seeing
that it might work well outside the temperament octave, but I'm skeptical
that it would result in a better temperament octave in a reasonable amount
of time.  I would appreciate more specific details about the process that
you follow to set the temperament octave using one mute.

Phil Ford