one rubber mute

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:09:30 -0800

When I was tuning aurally I found that the temperament strip (literally
used for the temperament) was best.  Since temperaments vary slightly on
different pianos, using a single, or more commonly, a four mute method,
which I tried, just ended up with to many redos of notes already tuned.
Since I tuned a two octave temperament, at least in part, I found that
stripping A2, C#3, F3 - A4, worked the best.  That allowed for minor
adjustments to the temperament octave without have to retune entire
unisons.  After those unisons were pulled in, a two mute unisons as you
go method worked best for me.  But, to each his own.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Let's see.  We'll talk about Bush and Kerry on the list, but when you're

going to have a discussion of tuning you're going to take it off list?
think you ought to carry on this discussion here.  When I read Jason's
post
I thought the question above echoed my own questions (or skepticism, if
you
will) about this single mute method.  I don't have a lot of trouble
seeing
that it might work well outside the temperament octave, but I'm
skeptical
that it would result in a better temperament octave in a reasonable
amount
of time.  I would appreciate more specific details about the process
that
you follow to set the temperament octave using one mute.

Phil Ford