one rubber mute

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 11:57:25 -0600

At 09:16 11/5/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> >WHen I'm in the temperament section, I'm constantly using reference
> >strings for checks -- testing fifths with the major sixth below the lower
> >note of the fifth, for example. How do you do this efficiently using a
> >single rubber mute?
> >
> >Do you mean you use strings you havent tuned yet as references? I dont do
> >that; I just tune as I go, using the tests Ive learned within the notes
> >Ive tuned. Email me privately, Jason, and well talk about this so you can
> >get an idea of what Im doing....
> >David Andersen
>

>Let's see.  We'll talk about Bush and Kerry on the list, but when you're
>going to have a discussion of tuning you're going to take it off list?  I
>think you ought to carry on this discussion here.  When I read Jason's post
>I thought the question above echoed my own questions (or skepticism, if you
>will) about this single mute method.  I don't have a lot of trouble seeing
>that it might work well outside the temperament octave, but I'm skeptical
>that it would result in a better temperament octave in a reasonable amount
>of time.  I would appreciate more specific details about the process that
>you follow to set the temperament octave using one mute.
>
>Phil Ford

Without going through ALL the checks which could be used by going outside
of the temperament octave, I feel compelled to ask how one tunes the
initial A or C.

If you are an aural tuner using a fork, do you go at A/C cold - direct to
fork, or do you use an F/G# (or some other note) to compare beatspeeds to
the fork?  If you _DO_ make that comparison, do you feel it necessary to
first tune F/G#, etc. so you can use it?  ...and what do you use for that?

If you DON'T use checks utilising notes other than those already tuned, I
feel that you are handicapping yourself.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-The only substitute for bad manners is good reflexes.