Cordless screwdriver

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 11:47:01 -0700

At 09:51 AM 11/5/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>Guy,
>
>Is that 10 in.-lbs.?  I'm not sure what you mean by angle on the bottom
>edge.  Could you expand on that a bit?
>
>Phil Ford

I'm going to assume in./lbs. Those drivers are pneumatic and problematic.
  The angle I was talking about is on flanges for vertical actions. With a
flange in the upright position, it's the angle on the bottom. Just look.
The angle assures that the flange doesn't ride the entire surface. Like the
difference between a four-legged whatzit and a three-legged whatzit. Three
legs won't wobble. The angle makes the edge below the screw head "bite" the
rail, reducing the amount of flange actually contacting the rail, and
creating a wobble-free contact. The channel on the rail side of the flange
is larger than the raised lip on the rail. So ideally the contact, when
tight, is on the top of the lip and the bottom "leading" edge. You'll
notice a similar angle on the leading edge of grand flanges that mount to
rails with lips or buttresses. Very slight, and very important. S&S flanges
don't need the angle, obviously, but if you look closely you'll see that
the flange profile doesn't match the rail profile exactly. Same principle.

Not-so-trivial trivia.

later,
Guy