FW: one rubber mute

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:47:29 -0800

Re: one rubber muteAs David requested, I did respond privately, but as I see
this is obviously of interest to several of you, here is my response from
yesterday evening. I have not yet heard back from David.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: jason kanter [mailto:jkanter@rollingball.com]
  Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:13 PM
  To: David Andersen
  Subject: RE: one rubber mute

  Okay, here's one path thru the temperament, as I learned using a C fork.

  From fork, tune C5, using Ab2 as reference note.
  From C5 tune C4, using Ab3 as reference note.
  From C4 tune F3, using Ab2 as reference note.
  From F3 tune F4, using C#3 as reference note. Check C4F4 fourth, using Ab3
as reference note.
  Between F3 and F4 tune A3 and C#4, making 4:5 beat ratios.
  From C#4 tune F#3, using A3 as reference note.
  From F#3 tune Bb3. Check F3Bb3 fourth, using C#3 as reference note. Check
Bb3F4 fifth, also using C#3 as ref note.
  From Bb3 tune D4. Check A3D4 fourth and F3D4 sixth.

  and so on predictably, tuning the rest of the temperament in this
sequence: G3, B3, Eb4, Ab3, E4.

  . The red notes do not have to be "right" to function as reference notes -
they just need to be a single frequency that produces a usable beat. If they
are an open unison that is not perfectly in tune with itself, they do not
work as reference notes.

  In practice, I mostly use Tunelab, so in practice I don't do as much
checking as I think I should, but I am trying to unravel this single-mute
thing and understand what it is that you actually do. So please show me your
bearing plan, with checks, and open my eyes.

  Jason