one rubber mute

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:49:11 -0800

While I do not know the genesis of the technique, it was the one in use at
Steinway Hall in London for generations of tuners.  At least up through the
late 1970s there were technicians there using it...some of them quite well
known at the time, including the fellow who tuned for Gerald Moore (among
many, many others) for several decades.

It is not my preferred technique, to be sure.  However, it is like so many
other things, a tool to have in your kit, to be used as necessary and
appropriate...to be thought of as an expansion of one's abilities, not a
millstone to be quickly discarded.

Best.

Horace