Another type of bridge agraffe - Schumann

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:46:05 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Here is another type of bridge agraffes, from a small Schumann grand
>piano, which is currently being restored by a correspondent.
>This is the simplest design I have seen so far, in fact it's just a curved
>piece of metal with some holes cut in it.
>It provides 2 termination points, like the Sohmer bridge agraffes, not 3
>like the Stuart or the Avisus devices (discussed previously on this
>mailing list).
>
>Here are the photos:
>Regards,
>
>  Calin Tantareanu

Interesting.  Does it in fact provide two termination points?  It almost
looks like one.  On the speaking length side it looks like the metal is cut
away to provide clearance for the strings and the strings are only
contacting at the end of the sheet metal bend, on the hitch pin side.  It's
a bit hard to tell as the pictures are fairly small.  Any chance of a
larger or more close up photo?

Also, in order for this termination to function, it looks like the strings
would have to have an up bearing on the bridge.  Is that correct?  Does the
soundboard have a positive crown or a reverse crown?

Phil Ford