WD40 again

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 23:33:47 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "ilex cameron ross" <i1ex@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 7:31 PM
Subject: WD40 again

> Another one of my fun appointments this week was an
> almost-impossible-to-open upright. Nothing out of the ordinary about this
> piano, just your average console. Except that some DEAR soul had for some
> unknown reason gone and removed the lid hinges and replaced them with
> unbendable thick L-shaped pieces of steel held in place by thick rusting,
> stripped, allen-wrench bolts. *frustration and strife*
>
> ilex

    Ilex,
    The Everett studio "school" pianos have that arrangement to "vandal-
proof " the piano.
    and the reason that they are stripped is probably from attempts to
remove them with an incorrect tool.
    I service quite a few of these and have the correct Allen wrench in my
kit.
    I'm too lazy to go out to the shop to measure but my recollection is
that the wrench is 1/4" size
    In a pinch you can remove them by inserting the shaft end of your handy
hammer (the one that fits into the combination handle) into the bolt as a
make shift tool.
Don't make a habit of this as the bolt is a lot harder than the tool and the
tool will lose the fight.
    DAMHIK
    Tom Driscoll