Beginning Tuner Question

Ken Kociolek kkociolek@pghmail.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:57:15 -0600

Could someone give me a hand on tuning octaves.  I've been studying the
PACE book on tuning and have gone through the lessons and excercises for
setting pure 2:1, 4:2, and 6:3 octaves.  In each case, the author
specifically states that it is "good practice to tune just 2:1, 4:2, and
6:3 octaves, however this would not be appropriate in an actual tuning.
The octave will need to be tuned a bit wide or narrow as the piano
requires". This last sentence (to a beginner) is about as ambiguous as
it can get. Can someone help me understand how I will know which way
(wide or narrow) the piano wants to be tuned?

Ken Kociolek
Naperville, IL

 Outgoing mail is Virus Scanned byNorman Data Defense.        Inbound Spam reduced 98.2% byVircom Sieve.