Beginning Tuner Question

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:30:47 -0800

MessageAT this stage you should ignore that caveat, and concentrate on being
able to tune these three pure octave types. Use 6:3 in the bass, 4:2 in the
middle of the piano, and 2:1 at the top. If you can do that, you'll do just
fine. As your experience grows you will realize that you are always making
compromises, which is what the author is saying.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ken Kociolek
  Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 4:57 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Beginning Tuner Question

  Could someone give me a hand on tuning octaves.  I've been studying the
PACE book on tuning and have gone through the lessons and excercises for
setting pure 2:1, 4:2, and 6:3 octaves.  In each case, the author
specifically states that it is "good practice to tune just 2:1, 4:2, and 6:3
octaves, however this would not be appropriate in an actual tuning. The
octave will need to be tuned a bit wide or narrow as the piano requires".
This last sentence (to a beginner) is about as ambiguous as it can get. Can
someone help me understand how I will know which way (wide or narrow) the
piano wants to be tuned?

  Ken Kociolek
  Naperville, IL

  Outgoing mail is Virus Scanned by Norman Data Defense.

  Inbound Spam reduced 98.2% by Vircom Sieve.