removing old keytops

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:51:43 -0500

    Hi Terry:
    Steam is still the best way to remove stubborn keytops.  I bought an old
iron from Sally Ann (Salvation Army) line up about six keys in a row, place
a fairly wet washcloth over them, set the iron on and voila!  I use the
hottest setting as the wet cloth tends to cool the shoe of the iron.  Take
one key off one end and add one from the other, it helps to have another
pair of hands helping.  This will give each key about 3-5 minutes of
heat/steam treatment.
    Don't worry about warping or bushings, you are not subjecting the keys
to this for too long.  I then use a HD utility knife/box cutter to pry the
keytop loose being aware of the grain orientation underneath.  If you feel
wood coming up with the top, start lifting at the other end.  If it is
unavoidable, I use plastic wood, Webb's wood rebuilder or autobody Bondo as
a filler.
    Keep an eye on the wetness of your cloth as it dries out quickly.  I
keep a bowl of water handy to replentish when needed.  Good Luck!
    Mike Kurta
    Auburn, NY