Hard to tune upright

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:00:17 -0600

Terry,

At 06:36 11/10/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>So now I understand you to be saying that a counter bearing bar is the
>cast pressure bar that has feet on it and is commonly seen on at least
>Mason & Hamlin and Steinway uprights. These are two very different
>arrangements. Which is it? You say the counter bearing bar usually has a
>duplex configuration cast into it - the ones I've seen simply have a "v"
>shaped area to push the string down - however, yes, they are stepped so
>that you will have some "idealized" duplex-type speaking length - is that
>what you mean by the "duplex configuration"?
>
>I believe you said before that often the feet on the counter bearing bar
>need to be ground down. Why is that? What problem is that designed to solve?

Grinding the feet of the pressure bar, which may or may not have a duplex
set in it, controls the downbearing.

What we have here is a failure to communicate...

Campbell and Mason doesn't show that second ridge cast into the plate at
all, while Schimmel shows a felt strip there and calls the english terms
for it bearing felt(brit)/stringing or counterbearing felt(amer).

I took the liberty of calling the cast ridge a counterbearing bar.

Sorry for any confrustication...

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder