Hard to tune upright

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:36:19 -0500

OK, not which is it?=20

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:=20
"If the upright string goes over/under a path like (^ v ^), it would be:
  ^ =3D v-bar
  v =3D pressure bar
  ^ counter bearing bar or felt."

I asked for further clarification:

"You are describing some type of protrusion from the plate, similar in =
shape to the "v"-bar, and located between the pressure bar and the =
tuning pin?"

And Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
"yes"

So now I understand you to be saying that a counter bearing bar is the =
cast pressure bar that has feet on it and is commonly seen on at least =
Mason & Hamlin and Steinway uprights. These are two very different =
arrangements. Which is it? You say the counter bearing bar usually has a =
duplex configuration cast into it - the ones I've seen simply have a "v" =
shaped area to push the string down - however, yes, they are stepped so =
that you will have some "idealized" duplex-type speaking length - is =
that what you mean by the "duplex configuration"?

I believe you said before that often the feet on the counter bearing bar =
need to be ground down. Why is that? What problem is that designed to =
solve?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20