About Checking

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:15:26 -0600

Joe Garrett,=20
I have already bedded the keyframe, and double checked to make sure.

Tom,
Already repaired the balance rail holes (Onesti system - great tool!).

Joe Goss, and Paul,
Rep Springs really don't seem too strong, they have definite rise, but =
do not "jump-up" from check.  I will try weakening them more, though, =
and see what that brings.]

Terry F,
Double checked jack position, by bringing it out to the point of =
cheating, then just in enough to function, and no change (Drat!).

Paul,
Great ideas.  Checks are aligned, spaced, etc.  I resurfaced them prior =
to regulation.  Checking occurs about 1/3 of the way into the backcheck, =
and backcheck height is just about even or a little below the backcheck =
tail at drop, checks do not rub on tails on the rise.  The one thing =
that is giving me concern is that when the hammer is in check and I push =
them further into check, it does not happen.  I can push the hammer =
pretty much through the range of the backcheck without much increase in =
friction.  As as mentioned earlier, maybe the hammers being hung at a =
different angle are to blame (if indeed that was done).  I will be =
checking that, but any other thoughts on why the hammers won't go deeper =
into check?

Thanks everyone for your input!!!
William R. Monroe
Madison, WI