About Checking

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:44:48 -0500

"Terry F,
Double checked jack position, by bringing it out to the point of =
cheating, then just in enough to function, and no change (Drat!)."

Same thing, but one step beyond, is there sufficient aftertouch so that =
jack clears knuckle?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: William R. Monroe=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 9:15 AM
  Subject: Re: About Checking

  Joe Garrett,=20
  I have already bedded the keyframe, and double checked to make sure.

  Tom,
  Already repaired the balance rail holes (Onesti system - great tool!).

  Joe Goss, and Paul,
  Rep Springs really don't seem too strong, they have definite rise, but =
do not "jump-up" from check.  I will try weakening them more, though, =
and see what that brings.]

  Terry F,
  Double checked jack position, by bringing it out to the point of =
cheating, then just in enough to function, and no change (Drat!).

  Paul,
  Great ideas.  Checks are aligned, spaced, etc.  I resurfaced them =
prior to regulation.  Checking occurs about 1/3 of the way into the =
backcheck, and backcheck height is just about even or a little below the =
backcheck tail at drop, checks do not rub on tails on the rise.  The one =
thing that is giving me concern is that when the hammer is in check and =
I push them further into check, it does not happen.  I can push the =
hammer pretty much through the range of the backcheck without much =
increase in friction.  As as mentioned earlier, maybe the hammers being =
hung at a different angle are to blame (if indeed that was done).  I =
will be checking that, but any other thoughts on why the hammers won't =
go deeper into check?

  Thanks everyone for your input!!!
  William R. Monroe
  Madison, WI