voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:46:52 EST

Hi Don
  What part of the scale were your samples placed in  & how many sticks on
average was achieving the desired effect?.
  This sounds like the description of battery voicing  Andre had outlined..
I'll try this.
    Thanks
     Dale

I put  some samples of the Ronsen hammers with Wurzen felt on a Kawai piano
for  use in a voicing seminar in North Carolina a couple of weeks back.  I
think those who heard them in the class would agree that they sounded very
nice.

The initial tone was a little too soft, so I first shaped  them a little to
get a more uniform shape (they were a little lopsided)  and fit the strike
point to the strings.  They still needed a little  more, so I filed them
with 1,000 grit sandpaper a little up and over the  strike point.  This
helped a little more.  Finally I deep  needled them at the widest point - 9
and 3 O'clock, with the needles  pointing up towards the tip of the molding,
but not passing over the  molding.  This increased the power quite a bit,
and the class agreed  that they didn't need any more.

Don Mannino  RPT