About Checking

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:53:23 EST

Ok many good comments already.
   Have you checked the backcheck block to see if the glue  joint is solid?
Also check to see if the check is solid on the wire. If the  Condition the
buckskin if crusty break it up with a bit of coarse sandpaer. Last  resort is to
checker the tails & wait till they seat in the leather with a  new bite.
  Frustratin ain't it
   Dale Erwin

William asked: "Also tried varying the backcheck height, which showed no
noticeable
improvement with either higher or lower backchecks.  Also  tried changing the
backcheck angle - again no improvement one way or the  other, hammers simply
will not check on soft blows."

William R.  Monroe

William,
If you've  tried all of that, then it has to be something you didn't try.<G>
Have  you checked to see if the keyframe is bedded properly? I've known that
to mess  up checking.
Best  Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

William,
    I'm late to this thread ,so  excuse me if this is redundant, but worn
balance rail holes--I.E. pulley  keys--can result in poor checking.
    Tom  Driscoll

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357