voicing/juicing ronsen hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:14:50 -0800

Don, Dale, et al,

I think Don's point in re: the 3 and 9 O'clock positions is
important.  Beginning at those points, as opposed to ones higher up, seems
to allow the most organic (for lack of a better word) development of the
tone without getting too much too fast...rather like driving a car in which
the torque curve of the engine is well matched to the rest of the drive
line...good, solid acceleration from rest throughout to
full-throttle.  This as opposed to situation with a flat or dead spot off
idle, then a head-snapping mid-range, which is then followed by a top end
with no "legs" - no reserve left.  We've all heard the tonal equivalent of
that in any number of poorly-voiced instruments.

Best.

Horace