About Checking

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:18:45 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>I can push the hammer pretty much through the range of the backcheck
>without much increase in friction.  As as mentioned earlier, maybe the
>hammers being hung at a different angle are to blame (if indeed that was
>done).  I will be checking that, but any other thoughts on why the hammers
>won't go deeper into check?
>
>Thanks everyone for your input!!!
>William R. Monroe

William,

It sounds to me like you may still need to play with the backcheck angle a
bit.  Also, you said you set the checks higher and lower.  How high?  The
general rule is that the top of the backcheck should be 1 - 2 mm below the
bottom of the tail at letoff.  Did you set them that high?

A couple of other things that I haven't seen mentioned.

1.  You have to have sufficient aftertouch (and thus dip), to get proper
checking, especially on a soft blow.

2.  You might check the pinning on the repetition levers.  If it's too
tight it will prevent checking on a soft blow, even if the rep spring is
set correctly.  If you have an accurate gram gage, such as a Correx gage, I
look for 6 - 8 grams to start the rep lever moving if you're pushing down
at the drop screw contact spot.

3.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to check that the slot in the rep lever (the
grub) where the rep spring rides is free of gunk.

Out of curiosity, are the wippens new also?

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service and Restoration
San Francisco, CA