"should I stay or should I go?"

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:18:19 +0100

On the other hand Dave Skolnik,

Most of the time we have no choice but to grin and ignore.
I used to get incredibly furious, swear at people, stamp my feet or=20
even walk away from the scene in terrible anger.
And you know what?
The years went by, and I am still tuning in the same conditions.
And you know what?
I don't care anymore.

I ignore
and
I grin.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 10-nov-04, at 22:32, David Skolnik wrote:

>  Quentin -
>
>  There is no one answer when you are talking about theater, which, for=20=

> these purposes, includes concerts.=A0 Even if you are dealing with a=20=

> regular account, it can take a long time and a lot of work, to train=20=

> the people around you, or the people who create the schedule, before=20=

> the requirements for tuning become accepted and anticipated.=A0 And=20
> then, sometimes, sh_t happens.=A0 A rehearsal goes late, last minute=20=

> stagecraft, etc.=A0 The best approach, I think, is to be=A0 bit anal =
when=20
> making the original arrangements.=A0 Ask the scheduler if there is=20
> anything, as in=A0 ANYTHING, else going on during the tuning time.=A0=20=

> Sometimes the scheduler and maintenance, or stage crew, don't=20
> communicate so well.=A0 It's worth double checking.=A0
>
>  It is true how amazing it is that people (especially musicians) don't=20=

> make the connection between tuning and the need for silence, which=20
> includes shuffling papers, whispering, or sometimes, breathing, but,=20=

> on the other hand, why should they know.=A0 There are times when the=20=

> only course is to ask someone to desist,,,as politely as possible.=A0 =
At=20
> other times, again, preparing for performance, other people may have=20=

> jobs that have to get done.=A0 Then it becomes a matter of determining=20=

> what level of noise is essential for them to fulfill their=20
> responsibilities, and what part of the usual noise can, in this case=20=

> be reasonably suppressed.
>
>  Regarding the 2 or 3 people chatting vs. 15 making noise, sometimes=20=

> the few can be more annoying, to me.=A0 A lot of the time it depends=20=

> upon the need.=A0 The 15 may have no choice but to carry on, to =
prepare=20
> for a show, while the 2 or 3 could probably take the conversation=20
> somewhere else.=A0 I will not hesitate to enlighten someone for a few=20=

> offenses:
>
>  Unnecessary conversation or laughter
>  Singing- especially the note I'm tuning
>  Whistling, ESPECIALLY THE NOTE I'M TUNING
>  Jingling keys on a key ring
>
>  No noise accepted for a recording session tuning.
>
>  Otherwise, it's Show Business.
>

>  David Skolnik
>

>  At 05:44 PM 11/10/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>  =A0
> This afternoon, I had to tune for a concert in a small hall.
> I tuned the piano this morning, and had to check it another time when=20=

> it was installed.
> People started installing the stage for the choir (nearly 50 singers I=20=

> think) just after I began checking everything.
> Some notes were a little bit out of tune, I had to tune them =
correctly.
> People were trailing the stage "blocks" everywhere and shouting at=20
> each other because they should have finished work sooner and people=20
> wanted to go back home.
> I asked for silence, everything remained noisy all around me.
> I decided to... go ;-)
>  =A0
> If they totally didn't care about my concentration and about what I=20
> was doing, that's because they 'd probably think the piano was good as=20=

> it was.
>  =A0
>
>  and...
>

> But don't you think people should realize that making a good tuning=20
> requires good conditions?
>  =A0
> There is a difference between 2 or 3 people chatting and 15 persons=20
> screaming and moving chairs and wood panels all around you while=20
> you're tuning !
>  =A0
> I think I would have preferred 2 or 3 people discussing in a normal=20
> way instead of this disturbing noises !
>  =A0
> Quentin

friendly greetings