Impact Tuning Hammers

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:41:15 -0500

Hi Terry,

I bought an impact hammer from APSCO four years ago to experiment. I=20
don't tune uprights very often so my main experience is with a grand.=20
In fact, I didn't particularly like it on an upright (at least since=20
the last time I used it on one) and didn't realise that is apparently=20
what it's for until I joined this list!

However, using it on a grand changed my hammer technique with a=20
"regular" hammer quite a bit. I think I saw the value of the technique=20=

of the impact hammer but preferred the control of a regular hammer. So=20=

I don't regret buying it even though I rarely use it.

Not very helpful, just my experience with one.

- John

> I should receive a McKaffee (sp?) -type impact tuning hammer from=20
> Schaff tomorrow.=A0My intention is to=A0use it for tuning a new S&S =
K52 on=20
> Friday. And then other verticals with tight tuning pins (all verticals=20=

> maybe?) in the future.
> =A0
> I bought one a couple years ago and on the first piano I tried to tune=20=

> with it I sheared the threaded portion, that the tuning tip screws=20
> onto, right off (thanks to an=A0S&S 1098). Naw, those tuning pins=20
> weren't tight! Does anyone make a hydraulic tuning lever?
> =A0
> Anyway, I'm going to give the impact lever another try.
> =A0
> Anyone have much experience with these gizmos? Any technique tips to=20=

> offer?
> =A0
> Thanks.
> =A0