About Checking

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:19:14 -0600

Paul, and list,

I think I'm starting to get a grip on it.  My suspicion now is that the =
arc is perhaps to large and needs to be sanded down.  I think this =
because of the fact that the hammers do not increase in friction when =
pushed through the backchecks, regardless how I alter the angle of the =
head.  Sometimes it seems that there is some improvement with head angle =
change, but not significant, or consistent.  Suggestions on tightening =
this arc? (I know, I know, someone already posted  a suggestion, but it =
has gone away from my 'puter.

One other issue that I'm still not convinced is not part of it, is the =
jack to knuckle placement.  There is still plenty of room in the window =
to allow for more aftertouch, and thus more clearance of the jack from =
the knuckle, but I already have about .055" of aftertouch (measured by =
placing .055" of punchings on top of front rail felts and seeing that =
escapement just barely occurs when the key is depressed).  I hesitate to =
think that more aftertouch would be appropriate.  Oh yeah, I forgot, I =
tried increasing it last night, and it didn't improve checking anyway.  =
It's late.  I don't like it, but it seems the jack does get bumped out =
of the way a little bit by the knuckly before checking, but I'm at a =
loss as to how to solve this.  As I said, the jacks really can't be =
moved farther forward, and increasing aftertouch does not seem to help.

Also, these are new wippens, repinned upon arrival at 5-7g.  Hammer =
shanks also repinned on arrival.

Thanks again,
William R. Monroe
Madison, WI