About Checking

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:59:53 -0600

William/List,

Assuming the angle thing(s) are correct/corrected........

>I don't like it, but it seems the jack does get bumped out of the way a
>little bit by the knuckly before checking, but I'm at a loss as to how to
>solve this.  As I said, the jacks really can't be moved farther forward,
>and increasing aftertouch does not seem to help.

This comment brings to mind something I don't "remember" being addressed.
Is the knuckle placement on the new shank the same as the original: i.e.
the distance from the center of
the flange center pin to the center of the wood core of the knuckle?

Also, is the knuckle size noticeably different?

Have you tried putting one of the original shanks/hammers back on the rail
to see
if it will work with the new wippens?

Not having enough drop can also sometimes cause hammers not to check on a
soft blow.
I had some "bobbling" hammer problems several years ago on one of our
concert grands
and increasing the drop a slight amount solved it.

Just some thoughts. Like Dale said, "Frustrating, ain't it?" :-)

>Also, these are new wippens, repinned upon arrival at 5-7g.  Hammer shanks
>also repinned on arrival.
>
>Thanks again,
>William R. Monroe

Avery