About after touch

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:32:09 +0100

On 11-nov-04, at 3:19, William R. Monroe wrote:

> One other issue that I'm still not convinced is not part of it, is the=20=

> jack to knuckle placement.=A0 There is still plenty of room in the=20
> window to allow for more aftertouch, and thus more clearance of the=20
> jack from the knuckle, but I already have about .055" of aftertouch=20
> (measured by placing .055" of punchings on top of front rail felts and=20=

> seeing that escapement just barely occurs when the key is depressed).=A0=
=20
> I hesitate to think that more aftertouch would be appropriate.=A0

One of the very great developments of our business here in Holland is=20
the new front punching called "Grand Piano Punching".
I have worked for years on this and we now offer this punching world=20
wide.
And why then is it so very nice one could ask?
Because it has a fantastic homogenous density, but at the same time it=20=

is not too hard.
It makes for a very sharp after touch, and thus for the sharpest=20
regulation possible.
As I said, it took me years to get this together, and it is even better=20=

than the Yamaha or Steinway punching because of its density and=20
firmness.

I wrote about this before : after touch should be =B1 0,4 mm, meaning=20
that after drop, and after the landing of the hammer, we should be able=20=

to move the hammer up 0,4 mm by softly pressing the key. If you see no=20=

movement at all, you have no after touch. If you see a lot of movement,=20=

your front punching is too soft or you have too much after touch....=20
which is it?
That's why you need to make sure that before you start a regulation,=20
your front punching is of the right firmness.

I will explain once more :
A key is like a sea saw.
Usually, we find an old car tire under both sides of the sea saw to=20
soften the impact. Nevertheless, a little child sitting on the high end=20=

of the sea saw will bump upwards slightly because of the impact at the=20=

lower end.
Now, if we take away the tires, the impact will be much harder and it=20
will hurt the behind of the child coming down, but it will also cause=20
the other child to almost get airborne, because the force of the impact=20=

is much stronger.
That is the an analogy in regard to a more firm front punching : It=20
causes a more intense transfer of energy and thereby creates a louder=20
tone.
Your regulation can be more precise, thereby giving you the maximum=20
tonal output.

I often ask a critical technician or pianist to listen to a particular=20=

tone and to feel its touch. I then exchange the front punching with our=20=

own front punching, and I ask the same person to
listen and feel again. They always are flabbergasted by the result.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

"where Music is, no harm can be"