About Checking

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:24:49 -0800

Andre,
Since many of us will do that measurement "by eye", because they have not
yet got around to making the little card with a 72 degree angle, how much
tolerance do you feel there may be? 72 degrees give or take what? I'd wager
that a 75 degree angle would work ...
| |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |   | | |   | |
| | |   | |
Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of antares
  Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 2:12 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: About Checking

  On 10-nov-04, at 21:16, Farrell wrote:

    "....exactly 72º"

    As measured from exactly where to exactly where? The keystick top? The
keybed? The contact face of the backcheck?

    Terry Farrell

  Terry,

  Aren't back checks always angled towards the back?
  Yes of course they are, and the angle should be exactly 72º, measured from
the surface of the key.
  So, if we angle the back check 'correctly', and if we take care that the
lower end of the hammer tail checks half way the back check underfelt, and
if we check that the wippen rep spring works well but not too well, and if
(when necessary) we roughen up the tails a bit with a roughen up file, it is
then as good as certain that the hammer checks in a healthy way in the back
check.

  And you know what?
  This always works.

  André Oorebeek