A-440 and Ethics.

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:18:18 EST

Greetings,

            Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which hasn't
been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was last tuned. They
usually don't know. especially if they have taken in an "orphan" piano.

             I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more than say
1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is because I don't want
to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, let alone breaking strings.
Especially on the little spinets, whose plates are 5/8" or less thick.

              When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's octaves and
get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went flat the most. I
always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer, and more times than not,
it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or not.

           They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain that
pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless it is an
extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let you even
gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent tunings/loose pins or bridges
coming off) I tune it the best I can get it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest
subsequent tunings so we can gradually get it there. They agree to a reminder
card from me for follow ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first follow-up. I also
inform them that with each tuning the piano becomes more stable and to never let
a piano go more than 2 years max.

          On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out of tune,
the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all alot of folks
want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying "an arm and a leg".
With customers who are more vigilant of how their piano sounds is another
matter.

          My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot better
when you leave than from when you arrived".

Julia,
Reading, PA