A-440 and Ethics.

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:39:25 -0800

davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 8:18 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.

Greetings,

            Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which
hasn't been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was
last tuned. They usually don't know. especially if they have taken in an
"orphan" piano.

             I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more than
say 1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is because I
don't want to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, let alone
breaking strings. Especially on the little spinets, whose plates are
5/8" or less thick.

              When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's
octaves and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went
flat the most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer,
and more times than not, it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or
not.

           They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain
that pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless
it is an extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let
you even gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent
tunings/loose pins or bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get
it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest subsequent tunings so we can
gradually get it there. They agree to a reminder card from me for follow
ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first follow-up. I also inform them that
with each tuning the piano becomes more stable and to never let a piano
go more than 2 years max.

          On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out of
tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all
alot of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying
"an arm and a leg".  With customers who are more vigilant of how their
piano sounds is another matter.

          My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a lot
better when you leave than from when you arrived".

Julia,
Reading, PA