A-440 and Ethics.

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:09:55 -0600

Yes, once.  It was a Kohler & Campbell console.  The plate was=
 obviously put in the frame crooked and under tremendous tension.=
  You can make a plate fit the frame with a strong enough power=
 tool.  It was clearly defective.  You do remember those,=
 however!
dave

Why don't we ask the List if anyone has had a plate crack during=
 a pitch raise.   I've been working on pianos for 30 years and it=
 has never happened to me.
David I.

From: <Alpha88x@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.

Greetings,

            Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano=
 which hasn't been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long=
 since it was last tuned. They usually don't know.. especially if=
 they have taken in an "orphan" piano.

             I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano=
 more than say 1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings.=
 This is because I don't want to run the risk of cracking=
 anyone's harp plate, let alone breaking strings. Especially on=
 the little spinets, whose plates are 5/8" or less thick.

              When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's=
 octaves and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere=
 it went flat the most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to=
 the customer, and more times than not, it doesnt matter to them=
 if its up to A-440 or not.

           They just would like it in tune with itself. I also=
 explain that pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best=
 results. (unless it is an extremely old, dry upright that's seen=
 better days and wont let you even gradually take it up that far,=
 even with subsequent tunings/loose pins or bridges coming off) I=
 tune it the best I can get it, to sound at the A-4?? and suggest=
 subsequent tunings so we can gradually get it there. They agree=
 to a reminder card from me for follow ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for=
 the first follow-up. I also inform them that with each tuning=
 the piano becomes more stable and to never let a piano go more=
 than 2 years max.

          On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and=
 out of tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure,=
 and thats all alot of folks want in order to start the kid's=
 lessons, without paying "an arm and a leg".  With customers who=
 are more vigilant of how their piano sounds is another matter.

          My tuning teacher used to say "As long as it sounds a=
 lot better when you leave than from when you arrived".

Julia,
Reading, PA