1883 Bechstein upright, "standard" pitch/scale tension

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:36:48 +0100

Hello Michael,

I have worked on these Bechstein uprights many times and at one time=20
had two models next to each other in my house.
Both were built in the 1890's. The youngest one had a repetition=20
action, the older one not. The younger one had elongated wippens with a=20=

tiny capstan, the older one had the system with the two screws on the=20
key to regulate the hammers.
I assume your Bechstein upright has the two screw system on the keys to=20=

regulate the hammers.
I also assume that the strings are not parallel anymore although the=20
piano is on the border, agewise.
They can be very beautiful, but you need to renew the ribs because they=20=

usually have no more power left in the sound board.
I renewed the ribs on both Bechsteins and although they were in age=20
only two years apart, the younger one (if I remember correctly from=20
1895) was by far the prettiest.
Nevertheless, both instruments were beautiful, not to say very=20
beautiful.
I had both hammer sets refelted at Renner (in Germany) with Wurzen=20
felt, and I renewed all dempers and anything else imaginable.
Pitch was never an issue. They were sold and left my house at 441 Hz.
Of the younger instrument with the double rep springs I decided to=20
remove the rep springs because they generally become a nuisance.

On 11-nov-04, at 21:00, Michael Spalding wrote:

> List,
> =A0
> Today I'm disassembling an old Bechstein=A0upright for refinish and=20
> restringing.=A0 Serial number dates it 1883.=A0 Interesting features:=A0=
=20
> full cast plate, including full coverage of tuning pin field.=A0 =
Wooden=20
> (mahogany) action brackets, at ends only=A0 (no intermediate =
brackets).=A0=20
> =A0 Relatively small for an upright, with only 85 notes.
>  =A0
> I would appreciate any insights you might have regarding what pitch it=20=

> would have been designed for.=A0 I've found brief mention of standards=20=

> adopted in 1885 in Vienna (435) and London (455), however C. Bechstein=20=

> was in Berlin.=A0 I would like to evaluate and improve on the scale -=20=

> obviously got to know what pitch to tune it to when I'm done.=A0 The=20=

> existing strings and pins appear uniformly old, but I wouldn't want to=20=

> assume they're original.=A0
>  =A0
> thanks for any info on pitch / tension
> =A0