1883 Bechstein upright, "standard" pitch/scale tension

Brian Lawson ptg@pianotech.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:48:55 +0200

Hi, is that a model 10, straight strung, underdamper?  The ones I'm =
familiar with (which customers have) are model 8, 9 and 10s which date =
from then to mid 1920's  Always tune then at 440, always a certain =
amount of falseness in the treble

Brian
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Spalding=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: 11 November, 2004 10:00 PM
  Subject: 1883 Bechstein upright, "standard" pitch/scale tension

  List,

  Today I'm disassembling an old Bechstein upright for refinish and =
restringing.  Serial number dates it 1883.  Interesting features:  full =
cast plate, including full coverage of tuning pin field.  Wooden =
(mahogany) action brackets, at ends only  (no intermediate brackets).    =
Relatively small for an upright, with only 85 notes.=20

  I would appreciate any insights you might have regarding what pitch it =
would have been designed for.  I've found brief mention of standards =
adopted in 1885 in Vienna (435) and London (455), however C. Bechstein =
was in Berlin.  I would like to evaluate and improve on the scale - =
obviously got to know what pitch to tune it to when I'm done.  The =
existing strings and pins appear uniformly old, but I wouldn't want to =
assume they're original. =20

  thanks for any info on pitch / tension

  Mike

  Michael Spalding