"should I stay or should I go?"

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:02:57 -0500

Kent -
I don't mean to single you out, as I know there have been many others who
have responded similarly to this thread, BUT, having previously indicated
my own awareness of the need for flexibility, I am, nevertheless,
disappointed by a general willingness to adopt a passive approach, even
when it would seem clear that the situation cries out for the
pro-active.  Case in point.  Yesterday, after reading and responding to the
initial post by Quentin Coderville, I had a call for an emergency tuning
(they said "touch up", but it was a tuning) for a Tony Bennett performance,
in a venue at which I had no previous experience.  I went in after the
dress rehearsal.  While I had spoken with the production manager before
hand, I hadn't thought to ask him to make sure everyone knew to either
leave or be quiet, so, as I began, a few clusters of stage hands and others
continued to converse, with clearly no intention of leaving (sitting
comfortably in the front row) or with any awareness that they were, in any
way, interfering.  Had it, in fact, been only a touch-up, I might have
elected to tune through the noise, but the piano was clearly in need, and I
had less than an hour to tune and correct some mechanical problems.  There
was no reason I had to accept added obstacles, and so, feeling freshly
empowered by this discussion, I, politely, humorously, but firmly,
indicated that I needed quiet.  They apologized and departed.  A few
remained at the back of the theatre, thinking that their conversation could
not be heard, so I had to repeat my request in a more projective voice,
while trying to maintained the afore mentioned mix of civility and
resolve.  This too worked.  It was only when the ushers began to come in,
10 minutes earlier than I expected, that I knew I was up against a much
greater learning curve.   The point is, SOMEONE has to teach these
people.  If I (or you) don't tell them, why SHOULD they know better?   Yes,
it makes us appear as prima donnas, but for a critical use situation
(concert, recording) I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the same
conditions for tuning as for performance.  Again, the point is to know when
that reasonable expectation cannot reasonably be fulfilled.

David Skolnik