allen wrench

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:36:57 -0600

At 00:54 11/12/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Conrad and whoever else was wondering;   In 1987 I tuned my first
>Latter Day Saints piano.  Tuned the grand first, and went to the Everett
>
>in one of the rooms. Opened my kit and tried to get into the piano.
>Good luck ! Sealed tight. Had a set of allen wrenchs in my kit, but not
>one would fit , or work .  Asked the custodian if he had any wrenchs
>in his work shop, and he did.  Came back with a handful, and found one
>that fit. He couldn't remember ever having used that one, so told me to
>keep it,
>as there were a couple more of these pianos on their premises. Never
>gave it
>another thought  till the recent postings. Today , Conrad said he used a
>1/4 in.
>screwdriver to get into one of these beauties. Well I went out to my
>shop
>to get the correct size of this wrench, and was there about 1/2 an hour
>doing it.
>Turns out that the size falls in somewhere about 5.5mm, or 14/64ths.
>A - 1/4 in. is 15/64ths.  It doesn't seem to be metric or emperial. Just
>seems to
>fall in between . .  .  ? ? ? ?  When I mic'd it, it was an odd number,
>also.
>
>Carl / Winnipeg

I don't think that I said a 1/4" screwdriver, I think I said I had a blade
screwdriver which just happened to fit.

Anyway,  the allen wrench which I've since been schlepping around in my
toolbox and which fits those screws quite nicely is clearly
marked >>7/32"<<.  (14/64 = 7/32)  It is not a size which you find in those
clusters of wrenches, but is certainly not an odd size.

Mine is also marked "Craftsman", so should be readily available in your area.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder