allen wrench

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:54:19 -0600

Conrad and whoever else was wondering;   In 1987 I tuned my first
Latter Day Saints piano.  Tuned the grand first, and went to the Everett

in one of the rooms. Opened my kit and tried to get into the piano.
Good luck ! Sealed tight. Had a set of allen wrenchs in my kit, but not
one would fit , or work .  Asked the custodian if he had any wrenchs
in his work shop, and he did.  Came back with a handful, and found one
that fit. He couldn't remember ever having used that one, so told me to
keep it,
as there were a couple more of these pianos on their premises. Never
gave it
another thought  till the recent postings. Today , Conrad said he used a
1/4 in.
screwdriver to get into one of these beauties. Well I went out to my
shop
to get the correct size of this wrench, and was there about 1/2 an hour
doing it.
Turns out that the size falls in somewhere about 5.5mm, or 14/64ths.
A - 1/4 in. is 15/64ths.  It doesn't seem to be metric or emperial. Just
seems to
fall in between . .  .  ? ? ? ?  When I mic'd it, it was an odd number,
also.

Carl / Winnipeg