1883 Bechstein upright, "standard" pitch/scale tension

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:09:25 +0100

Mike,

Studies made on strings from a Bechstein offered to Richard Wagner and =
dated from 1864 showed that the wire used by Bechstein in those years =
has identical properties than modern R=F6slau wire (average 2200 N/mm=B2 =
breaking strain).  Anyway, those pianos are scaled so that the tension =
of the strings stays at about 40 % of the in situ breaking strain (even =
less at the tenor/bass cross over).  By the way I am not sure at all =
that (as you often read it) a string sounds better when it gets closer =
to break point.  Yes, the partials get closer to a harmonious value, but =
at the same time, the sustain of the note decreases drastically, and for =
my taste, some inharmonicity is good for aesthetical results.  In those =
years, piano desingers did their work by ear, which is, I believe, the =
very best method.  For any Bechstein as for any Steinway, I would use =
regular modern R=F6slau, and not expect any catastrophy if tuned at 435 =
or 445 Hz.

St=E9phane Collin.

----- Original Message -----=20