A=440cps and Ethics

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:10:34 -0500

On Nov 12, 2004, at 12:13 AM, Joe Garrett wrote:

> David I. said: "Why don't we ask the List if anyone has had a plate=20
> crack during=3D
> =A0a pitch raise.=A0=A0

It has never happened to me; on the other hand I have encountered a few=20=

which were already cracked. Two of them were Baldwin Hamilton studio=20
uprights, and the "clue" was that a note was sticking at the tenor=20
treble break. This was because the strut was cracked and flexed outward=20=

to the point it was interfering with the wippen's rotation. Plus the=20
"pitch stability" was nonexistent in the surrounding octave.
Another was a K&C studio which I serviced regularly for a hotel. Aside=20=

from a certain level of manufacturing incompetence from late 70s era=20
K&C, the hotel personnel routinely dropped pianos off stages etc.

While it is true that "any improvement is good," pitch raising is an=20
integral part of the job. Don't avoid it! Practice, practice, practice.=20=

Go for it!
Patrick Draine=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available