A-440/Cracked Plate, etc.

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey@marshall.edu
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:30 -0500

David I. said: "Why don't we ask the List if anyone has had a plate
crack during a pitch raise.   I've been working on pianos for 30 years
and it has never happened to me"

It's been 40 years for me and I've never had a plate fail due to a pitch
raise of any amount. I did have a plate break due to nose bolts pulling
out of a dry rotted back post.(The piano had been stored in a boat house
for years). Made a sound I don't want to hear a second time.

I frequently pitch raise pianos that haven't seen service in decades. Up
they come the first pass to A-440......fast, using no mutes. The second
PR is done with the SAT-II. Then finish with a fine tuning. This is done
with all the usual caveats to the owner. Schedule the next tuning in 4
to 6 months

Do strings break?  Yes, but surprisingly not as often as you'd think.

Hey, strings break, regardless of the circumstances, when their time
comes.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT

Piano Technician Sr.

Marshall University