"should I stay or should I go?"

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:25 -0500

Hi Kent -

I don't think we disagree.  I credit my own early theatre-tuning experience
with the my ability to through-tune, but I'm going for a little nuance
here.  Let me say this.  As to how many of those same people would ever
again be confronted with a piano tuner at work, why should you assume it to
be so unlikely?  These were stage hands and such.  The next time, they
might very likely remember...maybe it would take a few times.  That's a
learning curve. As to the existential characteristics, I am trying to
distinguish between those conditions which are mutable from those that are
im-,  (pi).  I see no virtue in suffering in silence if, by speaking up,
the situation can be altered, and I don't accept the idea that asking /
demanding silence ought to be experienced as humiliating.

As for your recent experience, congratulations.  It would be interesting to
hear the circumstances surrounding such a nightmare, but I think your story
illuminates my point on multiple levels.  For example, what if some aspect
of the tuning had, in fact, proved inadequate?  Maybe starting out good,
but slipping.  How would you have felt if some critical attention had been
brought to the piano, despite your heroic effort.  It certainly wouldn't be
fair, but you might also attribute that to the tuners' existential dilemma.
Why, in such a panic situation, was it impossible for the venue managers to
control the conditions for you?  Why SHOULD such heroics be allowed to
become the standard, as illustrated by the quote from Carol Beigel's
post,  "Yeah, the real professionals can deal with anything".

Overall, a much wordier version of what David Love just posted.

David Skolnik