fine grit hammer filing

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:29:47 -0800

Dave wrote:
=20
>  Isn't 1000 grit about as abrasive as, say, newsprint?
=20
Nope, quite a bit rougher actually, and it doesn't leave nearly as much
black ink on the hammers ;-)
=20
I use 600 grit strips (with plastic tape backing) for final filing when =
use strips, and a large (4" x 6") paddle with 1,000 grit for fine =
filing.  I
do not file badly worn hammers with 1,000 grit usually, of course, but I =
do
for just a single hammer sometimes.  With a large paddle it is suprising =
how
much you can cut into the hammers, even with very fine grit.   For badly
worn hammers or removing a lot of felt on new hammers I start with 180 =
or
220 grit strips, then finish with 600 or 1,000 grit.
=20
You'll just have to try to catch one of my voicing classes.  Those who =
have
seen one can tell you that I remove quite a bit of felt with that 1,000 =
grit
paddle!  It's all in balancing pressure and speed.
=20
Some hammers do respond well to rougher grit, so I keep that handy as =
well,
in both paddle and strip form.  Since I work mostly on new or fairly new
pianos, though, the large paddle gets used probably 90% of the time.
=20
Don Mannino RPT
=20
=20