making key bushing cauls

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:38:43 -0600

>Various cauls available for sale, but I was considering making these using
>either router or table saw and some appropriate machinable
>plastic.  Wondered if anyone had any tips (besides the obvious - "buy them").
>
>-Mark

I've made a few sets out of aluminum, polypropylene, or maple. The first
few sets were because the commercial versions weren't available yet, and
the others were because of odd sizing, or timing - when I needed them right
now and had neglected to order them. Making them is interesting, but buying
them is easier. The router works best for gang-milling the tongue, but
you'd better have an accurately thicknessed stock to work with. Then
separate individual cauls with table saw or band saw. Eye protection
REQUIRED, as well as ear protection. Watch your fingers, and stop and count
periodically. Jig up and use something not a part of yourself as a push
stick. Bad things happen very quickly and with considerable violence with
small parts in whirling blades. A maple body with the appropriate thickness
aluminum tongue inlay works well too, and makes getting a uniform thickness
tongue a lot easier. If you use all maple, saturate them in CA or epoxy
after milling to glue-proof them for later ease of cleanup.

Then just buy your next set. It's cheaper and safer.

Ron N