1883 Bechstein upright scale

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:22:10 -0600

Joe,

Yup, I'm with you all the way.  I definitely want to do a full scale evaluation.  As I stated, the only question I have is, what pitch was the piano originally designed for?  You state 435.  Reasons?  My limited info indicates manufacturers and musicians were all over the map at that time.

thanks

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 11/12/2004 6:11:52 AM
Subject: Re: 1883 Bechstein upright scale

Michael Spalding asked: "I would appreciate any insights you might have regarding what pitch it would have been designed for.  I've found brief mention of standards adopted in 1885 in Vienna (435) and London (455), however C. Bechstein was in Berlin.  I would like to evaluate and improve on the scale - obviously got to know what pitch to tune it to when I'm done.  The existing strings and pins appear uniformly old, but I wouldn't want to assume they're original.

thanks for any info on pitch / tension

Mike,
I'm probably repeating myself, but this is the reason to do a full scale evaluation! First, you enter all of the scale data in a program that will allow you to set the pitch standard at whatever you want it at. For that piano, I would use 435cps. Once you have entered all of the data, then you reset the program to 440cps. (Of course you printed a copy of the original scale @ 435cps. Taking note of the tensions, rescale the instrument to A=440cps. Along the way, improving on the scale and taking into account the manufacturability of current string winders. Once you do this then you have the NEW scale, that will not over-stress the intended overall tensions and a sweet instrument that can be tuned to A=440cps. Simple, huh?[G]
If you are not so inclined to do that, send me the data and I can do it for you.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I