A-440 and Ethicx.

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:18:09 -0800

<< My tuning teacher used to say; As long as it sounds a lot better when you
leave than from when you arrived>>

That's like saying: "as long as you inflate your car tires enough so they're
not entirely flat! I do not consider a piano "tuned" unless it is tuned to
A440, or perhaps 1 or 2 cycles higher, depending on it's use, but never
flat.
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: David Ilvedson &lt;ilvey@sbcglobal.net&gt;
To: &lt;mjmccoy@usa.com&gt;, &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: A-440 and Ethics.
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:12:10 -0800

I agree, thats the way I do it...
David I.

----- Original message ----------------------------------------&gt;
From: Mike McCoy &lt;mjmccoy@usa.com&gt;
To: Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;

I have yet to walk away from a piano leaving it flat, and the majority of my
customer base is 1920-30's uprights and I do it all at once with RCT. Rarely
do strings break and once I had 3, but that was the most. I don't do this
because of any philosophy of mine, but because it has been what I learned
from the Potter course, convention classes and other techs I respect. It was
explained to me that early on that ear training is very important for piano
students. If the piano is intended for lessons and it can not handle a pitch
raise then it's time for a different piano, but I have not had to condemn
one yet. It is also my understanding that if the plate breaks because of a
pitch raise/correction then there was  most likely a defect in the plate, is
that not true??

Is a new student's progress hampered by a flat piano?

Mike

Mike McCoy
Langhorne, Pa

Alpha88x@aol.com wrote:

Greetings,

             Usually, when I get a tuning call, it is a piano which hasn't
been kept up the tunings on. I always ask how long since it was last tuned.
They usually don't know. especially if they have taken in an
&quot;orphan&quot; piano.

              I do not like to raise the A4 pitch on any piano more than say
1/4 a tone or so, if it's been neglectd tunings. This is because I don't
want to run the risk of cracking anyone's harp plate, let alone breaking
strings. Especially on the little spinets, whose plates are 5/8&quot; or
less thick.

               When I get to the house, I check the A-440 and it's octaves
and get an idea of the overall tone of the piano; whrere it went flat the
most. I always explain the concept of A-440 to the customer, and more times
than not, it doesnt matter to them if its up to A-440 or not.

            They just would like it in tune with itself. I also explain that
pianos are designed to be tuned to A-440 for best results. (unless it is an
extremely old, dry upright that's seen better days and wont let you even
gradually take it up that far, even with subsequent tunings/loose pins or
bridges coming off) I tune it the best I can get it, to sound at the A-4??
and suggest subsequent tunings so we can gradually get it there. They agree
to a reminder card from me for follow ups ....say, 4 to 6 mo for the first
follow-up. I also inform them that with each tuning the piano becomes more
stable and to never let a piano go more than 2 years max.

           On hearing these pianos, they are so, so neglected and out of
tune, the piano always sounds better upon my departure, and thats all alot
of folks want in order to start the kid's lessons, without paying &quot;an
arm and a leg&quot;.  With customers who are more vigilant of how their
piano sounds is another matter.

           My tuning teacher used to say &quot;As long as it sounds a lot
better when you leave than from when you arrived&quot;.

Julia,
Reading, PA