Front Rail Punching Interference

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:47:24 -0500

Help!

I'm trying to regulate a Baldwin "Monarch" microgrand action. I haven't =
looked up the piano's age (can't find my Pierce Atlas), but it is from =
the first half of the 20th Century. I've run into this before. I level =
keys (1/2" sharp height), regulate blow, let-off, etc., and then go to =
set aftertouch. When I have the proper aftertouch on the sharps, the =
adjacent naturals hit the sharp front rail punching before they hit =
their own front rail punching when depressing the natural.

That's bad.

What gives? Have I done something stupid? Have I simply overlooked =
something?

Another thing - I have to reduce blow to 1-3/4 inches to provide =
sufficient key travel (about 3/8 inches - way less than spec) to allow =
let-off and a tad of aftertouch. I replaced the back rail felt with =
original thickness (which is the thinnest sold by the supply houses), I =
am using the thinnest front rail punchings available, and I even have =
key height a little bit higher than they were (and above spec - more =
than 2-1/2 inches - I'm quite sure I'm still OK with the fallboard).

Again, what gives? Action clearly appears all original.

This is all a lot easier when you rebuild the action, go through the =
Stanwood and geometry stuff, and have it all correct from the get-go! =
Because, as in this case, it can't be me, it's gotta be the action! =
Right?   ;-)

Thanks for anything anyone has to offer.

Terry Farrell