Front Rail Punching Interference

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:04:03 +0100

Terry,

First of all, you need to know the exact key height of your key board.
This is the key to your regulation.
For instance.... the key height for Steinway model S-B (measured from=20
the key bed to the underside of the key top covering) is 63 mm.
For Yamaha's this 64 mm.
It is the only way to get your basis straight.
After that, we're talking.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek

On 13-nov-04, at 20:47, Farrell wrote:

> Help!
> =A0
> I'm trying to regulate a Baldwin "Monarch" microgrand action. I=20
> haven't looked up the piano's age (can't find my Pierce Atlas), but it=20=

> is from the first half of the 20th Century. I've run into this before.=20=

> I level keys (1/2" sharp height), regulate blow, let-off, etc., and=20
> then go to set aftertouch. When I have the proper aftertouch on the=20
> sharps, the adjacent naturals hit the sharp front=A0rail punching =
before=20
> they hit their own front rail punching when depressing the natural.
> =A0
> That's bad.
> =A0
> What gives? Have I done=A0something stupid? Have I simply overlooked=20=

> something?
> =A0
> Another thing - I have to reduce blow to 1-3/4 inches to provide=20
> sufficient key travel (about 3/8 inches=A0- way less than spec)=A0to =
allow=20
> let-off and a tad of aftertouch. I replaced the back rail felt with=20
> original thickness (which is the thinnest sold by the supply houses),=20=

> I am using the thinnest front rail punchings available, and I even=20
> have key height a little bit higher than they were (and above spec -=20=

> more than 2-1/2 inches - I'm quite sure I'm still OK with the=20
> fallboard).
> =A0
> Again, what gives? Action clearly appears all original.
> =A0
> This is all a lot easier when you rebuild the action, go through the=20=

> Stanwood=A0and geometry stuff, and have it all correct from the =
get-go!=20
> Because, as in this case, it can't be me, it's gotta be the action!=20
> Right?=A0=A0 ;-)
> =A0
> Thanks for anything anyone has to offer.
> =A0
> Terry Farrell

friendly greetings
from