"should I stay or should I go?"- David Anderson

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 02:21:27 EST

In a message dated 11/13/04 8:24:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
davidlovepianos@comcast.net writes:

> This is an interesting discussion.  I=E2=80=99m almost getting the impress=
ion some=20
> people enjoy tuning in a noisy environment.  I don=E2=80=99t.  If I can ge=
t the=20
> natives to be quiet I certainly will.  If I can=E2=80=99t, well then I mak=
e the next=20
> decision to do the best I can or leave.  I certainly would find it irritat=
ing to=20
> struggle through a tuning in a noisy environment that I could have quieted=
=20
> down with a few diplomatic words and then have them call me back because t=
he=20
> tuning wasn=E2=80=99t as spot on as usual. =20
> =20
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
>=20

David, David, David, etc.,=20

So I feel compelled to jump in, albeit a tad late. =20

Tuning in a noisy environment can be very stressful.  My worst day in this=20
regard had me fighting a jackhammer on the first job, a leaf blower on the=20
second, and a lawn mower on the third.  And they were all outside of the sph=
ere of=20
the piano owner's influence.  Unsurprisingly, I was not in the best of moods=
=20
at the end of the day.

As David L. says, diplomacy is key.  Many people just don't understand the=20
intense concentration required in tuning a piano.  When they are politely=20
informed that tuning with background noise is counter-productive to the tuni=
ng=20
effort, they are often surprised and more than willing to do their part to m=
ake our=20
job easier.

Being a prima dona won't win anyone friends.  I've been hired by many people=
=20
who were displeased far more with the previous tuner's attitude than with th=
e=20
work they did.  Demanding silence is far different than asking if it would b=
e=20
possible to limit the noise in order to have the piano tuned as well as=20
possible.

Dave Stahl