fine grit hammer filing; Dremel tool

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:39:30 EST

I've found the Foredom miniature belt sander to be a better  choice for both
procedures being discussed. It very controllable especially on  a set of grand
hammers without obstructions & it also works well on  uprights even in the
bass. There are minimum clearances on uprights in the  bass but still possible.
I only hog off the largest amount of waste felt  & finish with various widths
of sandpaper strips backed with packing tape  for reinforcement.
  There are many grits available to work with as well.  Over all the foredom
tool is a great toll.
  Dale Erwin

>  Have you ever tried the hammer-routing/shaping attachement for the  Dremel
> tool? Once you get the hang of it you can reshape a set of  total trash
> upright hammers in ten minutes or so. No need to even do  any manual
> filing/sanding afterwards. I wouldn't battle an old upright  without it!
>
> Terry Farrell

Yes, I tried it  a long time ago and couldn't figure it out.  Tried it
again a few  months ago and decided it's just not worth it.  If  you're
right-handed, you can do maybe half the bass section before your  wrist runs
into the 2nd action bracket.  But at least in the bass, the  hammers are
angled and you can get the tool perpendicular to the  hammer.  But to do the
second half of the bass section, even if you do  it left-handed, the angle of
the hammers forces the body of the Dremel tool  into the dampers or other
hammers.
Same problem in the  treble, but the angle is the opposite direction.  If
you hold it with  your right hand, the body of the tool is forced into the
dampers.  If  you hold it with your left, the action bracket's in the way.
If the tenor  hammers aren't angled ("straight bore"), you can do the first
half of the  tenor section, then you run into the 3rd action bracket with the
tool and  your right wrist.  I'm just not dextrous enough with my left hand
to  switch.
But the main problem is that that guide just isn't  all that great.  With
it or without it, it's just too easy to dig a  divot into the hammer.  All it
has to do is "catch" once, and,  whiizzjhoop!, there went a big chunk of
hammer.  Now ya gotta cut an  equal-sized piece of felt out of a scrap hammer
and glue it in.  Just  kidding.
Now on a grand it's a lot easier, but even there, I  just can't tell if
I'm removing one layer or ten with
the Dremel sander  drum.
--David Nereson, RPT