Over-Damper Uprights and Square Grand Bashing!!!

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:59:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi Joe,
   Here in "thuh Soweth" squares almost DO "fall out
of the sky"!  They are EVERYWHERE.  One dealer claims
they were shipped here en-masse during Reconstruction
by greedy Capetbaggers, just to get them out of the
North and make a  quick buck! I'm inclined to agree,
as their prevalence seems to outnumber the quantity of
families here that probably could have afforded to buy
them new.
     And many people are mesmerized by their gaudy
cases. Lost a  customer last month who was looking at
a water-damaged Mathushek ( definitely a better make!
) and asked what it would cost to rebuild. I said
$12,ooo+, and he didn't sniff. But I told him that
he'd be best advised to put that $ into a fine and
fancy upright or grand. Never heard from him again.
     Some squares can sound pretty good, and play
O.K..  But their abilty to wreck my back when tuning
them definitely puts them on my "enemies" list! I'm
with Terry on this one.
    Thump

P.S. Any piano, be it square or spinet, which was
designed to conform to the constraints of home decor
rather than pure musicality is to be disdained, IMHO.
     Thump

     Everyone