Over-Damper Uprights and Square Grand Bashing!!!

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:01:37 -0600

You are doing well enough to turn them down?  I don't think you should lump
them all as novice-tuner fodder.  It actually takes more knowledge and
experience to do these pianos than any others.  Do us all a favor and never
touch one again.  If you only knew the novice work I have had to UNDO to
restore some of these....

Bird cage uprights and square grands are just fine.  I have restored many of
both of those.  The squares?   I have four I am working on right now.  I
have four people calling me up every few months to see if I have one
finished so I can take theirs to work on.  I have had new butts made for
them so I even have new parts to put into them.  Yes they are a pain in the
butt but they are very fine instruments once completed.

The birdcage uprights are much simpler but more often must have the
soundboard taken out and timbers/pinblock put back together--especially the
ones with all wood backs.  I prefer the ones with a cast iron plate or
plates to hold the tension.

As far as the actions, if you are trying to deal with all old parts, you
will have trouble.  We releather non standard butts and with all new parts
have no problem with their actions.  They are very easy to work with at that
point.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org