wear and tear on da nerves

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:13:37 -0800

Actually, I don't do it that way.  I considered and actually tried doing
full service appointments for awhile until I realized that many people
only want the piano tuned and nothing else.  I also realized that there
are some pianos that, in all honesty, I just don't want to see for that
long.  A 1.5 hour appointment would run about $180. at present (going up
to $185. on 1/1/05).  I currently charge $130., soon to be $135., for
basic tuning.  I'm usually there for 45 minutes to one hour.   Add $25 -
$50. for a pitch raise.  Everything else is billed separately.   I will
generally do at least some voicing at each tuning only appointment as
part of the basic fee (I always at least check the pedals as well).
Even if it's only 5-10 minutes, a little bit of voicing goes a long way
to improve the overall impression of the tuning.  A 1.5 hour appointment
will usually cover (in addition to tuning and not counting a pitch
raise) vacuuming out the piano (add $25 to clean the soundboard)
lubricate knuckles and pins, touch up the voicing, clean the keys if
they want (some people don't).  If it takes me longer or there are other
things to do, I charge more.  Since I don't leave a lot of open time in
my day, more involved procedures such as voicing and regulating are
often scheduled as a follow up appointment depending on the extent.  I
rarely schedule more than 3 appointments in a day reserving the
afternoons for shop work which I am fortunate to have plenty of.   Oh,
and I always leave Friday afternoons open for soccer with the kids.