Measuring strings for replacement

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:52:42 +0100

Hello Cy and list.

I find this is an interesting topic (micrometer technique).  I find it =
difficult too to make accurate measures.  I do zero my micrometer each =
time I use it.

I prefer measuring the string under tension, as I feel that the major =
problem with measuring a string is that you must obviously measure a =
straight portion of it, which, without tension, is quite tricky.
I use the cylinder anvil, in order to minimize, at least on one side, =
the surface of the anvil that will contact the string.  Like you, I do =
three or four measurements on the same string, always using the friction =
device, and wobbeling the micrometer while turning the device, so that =
the string can find it's way under the micrometer, and let read it's =
actual diameter.  I believe (but I am not sure) that errors due to =
minute string diameter variations are far less important than errors due =
to string not being perfectly straight under the micrometer anvils.  For =
this reason, I always choose the lowest value of the measures I made as =
the most probable one.
Even with this method, I found that my knowing of what diameter the =
string should have (following a rational string sheme) had much =
influence on the actual reading I do of it's diameter, which is no good, =
I believe.  Or maybe just opposite.

I hope to generate comments from more experienced fellows.  Anyway, do =
you expect a half gauge number difference with the desired one to be a =
real catastrophy ?

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.

  ----- Original Message -----=20