CA in a hurry

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:49:10 -0500

At 1:42 PM -0600 11/16/04, Barbara Richmond wrote:
>So, I was wondering if I removed those few spinning pins and
>carefully applied the CA, would I get more holding power?  How long
>should I wait before re-inserting the pins?

You didn't mention whether the tuning pins had been driven already.
That's my first remedy. If you've got an 1/8" below the string where
it leaves the coil and the plate, make that 0" (plus a smidge) and
the other end of the tuning pin will be 1/8" into a part of the
tuning pin hole which has never done any work before. It requires
blocking up under the pinblock, a carpenter's hammer and tuning pin
setting tool ( a small handle stuck into a head with a spring-loaded
punch to hold onto the pins so they don't jump too badly when hit),
plus a significant rough tuning.

I've never used sandpaper to shim with, figuring that after a while,
under the pressure the paper backing will disintegrate and then
you're left with a hole lined with Alox or garnet particles of
whatever size (80 grit? 100, 150?) free to move and function as a
lapping compound. Gross Encounters of the Loose Kind.